Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Armchair BEA 2014: Expanding Blogging Horizons & Novellas/Short Stories

Welcome to Armchair BEA 2014!


Expanding Blogging Horizons 
What do you think about when you think about going beyond blogging or expanding your horizons? Is it a redesign of your blog? Have you branched out into freelance writing or even published a novel of your very own? Or, have you moved into a different venue like podcasts or vlogging? This is the day to tell us about how you have expanded on blogging in your own unique way. 

 Novellas/Short Stories 
 Now it is time to give a little love to those little stories in your life. Share your love for your favorite shorts of any form. What is a short story or novella that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves? Recommend to readers what shorts you would recommend they start with. How about listing some short story anthologies based upon genres or authors? SOURCE: Armchair BEA Headquarters

EXPANDING BLOGGING HORIZONS:

Okay. Now, this is a tough topic for me because before I started my book blog, Bluest Ribbon, I was already deep into the blogging community. If I am not mistaken, it was around early 2005 that I had my first personal blog. I'd had Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr and even a blog on Friendster. Oh, what memories! Since then, being the curious person that I am, I tried my hands on blog designing, freelance writing for short articles, being a graphic artist, hosting forums, and even vlogging. My passion for blogging is unbelievable and it gave me treasured memories and people that I wouldn't have had it if weren't for it.

Looking back, I can say that I came a long way, but I know that I have a lot more to learn. There are new things about blogging and beyond it that I discover on a regular basis. Like a new concept for a blog design, or fixing a code, or even just changing the posting format. I don't stop myself from discovering new things and you shouldn't, too. Satisfy your curiosity, then hunger for more because that will definitely expand your horizon.

Several Blog Redesigns

NOVELLAS/SHORT STORIES:

As for reading novellas or short stories, I only read them if they are either part of a series that I like or from one of my favorite authors. I am not ashamed to say that I read all short stories and novellas by Maria V. Snyder, Ilona Andrews, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Nalini Singh and a few more. They are fun to read while you're waiting for the next book in the series to come out!

8 comments:

  1. It's so awesome that you've done all this work with your blog. I wish I knew more about coding, etc. to be able to do my own work and customize the way I want. I've paid for re-designs twice, and once it went very well; the other time, not so much. I'm definitely due for another makeover!!

    And, oh boy, if you enjoy short stories from these authors, you should totally look into some of the classic short stories that are out there. I posted quite a few today for my own response on this topic...there are some AMAZING short stories out there. And they're so under-appreciated. It's tragic. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad if you're not familiar with coding, even, I, sometimes get frustrated when a simple code messes up the whole alignment. But that's okay because I learn from that. Designing is a trial and error process, so an open communication between the client and designer is a must! I hope you get lucky with your next redesign, you could also join my custom design giveaway. Just click on the blue badge at the sidebar.

      I think that short stories you've mentioned on your blog are amazing! I gotta admit that I've never heard of them. I'll ask our university librarian about them, we're good friends.

      Delete
  2. ooh I love the design progression. I bet that is fun from your end as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh it was so much fun but time consuming. Lol.

      Delete
  3. I love the new design. It looks like you merged both styles together in one beautifully crafted blog. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like my redesign, for now, I am satisfied with it. But we'll never know when the itch of redesigning strikes again!

      Delete
  4. Nice, love how you play with changing your blog around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's always fun to try something new.

      Delete